Follow these tips from Reading Rockets to motivate your child to read:
- Read your child a story. Reading together is a powerful way to improve literacy skills and build a strong relationship with your child.
- Reading is more than books. Utilize video games, magazines, and comic books for reading practice.
- Keep it fun! You can act out books as you read them or use puppets and props.
- "Look at what I did!" Use a chart to keep track of you child's reading. If a child sees how many books he or she has read, it may encourage him or her to keep reading.
- Emphasize student choice. Let your child choose what he or she wants to read! High schoolers can enjoy picture books just as much as young children!